Re: "LaTeX-fill-paragraph" behavior for latex preamble

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: "LaTeX-fill-paragraph" behavior for latex preamble
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:19:00 +0900

Hi Ruiyang,

> Currently, using "LaTeX-fill-paragraph” when point is in latex
> preamble will cause unintended result, e.g., merging multiple
> “\usepackage” commands into one line. IMHO, preamble should not be
> filled just like those in the "LaTeX-indent-environment-list”. Is it
> possible to make "LaTeX-fill-paragraph” skip preamble by default?

There was once a similar suggestion before[1], but didn't get attention
at that time. :-(

I think there are at least two difficulties for this idea.
(1) `LaTeX-fill-paragraph' is called repeatedly in `LaTeX-fill-region',
which is called from most of `LaTeX-fill-*' functions. Thus it can slow
down the family if `LaTeX-fill-paragraph' checks every time whether the
point is in preamble or not.

(2) Even in preamble, users still want filling inside some arguments,
say, \newcommand and \newenvironment.

My preliminary idea to address (1) is either to add an optional argument
to `LaTeX-fill-paragraph' which is non-nil only when called
interactively, or to make a new function
`LaTeX-fill-paragraph-interactive' and assign it in the keymap instead
of `LaTeX-fill-paragraph'. In either way, we can check the preamble just
once only when called interactively.

However, I don't have a good idea to work consistently with the issue
(2) yet.

Does anyone see a good solution?

Regards,
Ikumi Keita