Re: Autoconf speedup

From: Zdenek Kabelac
Subject: Re: Autoconf speedup
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:12:11 +0200

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 05:02:46PM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
> Zdenek> This would create some short simple Makefiles and these would
> Zdenek> include one global shared Makefile.inc where all the common
> Zdenek> targets & defines would be specified.
>
> This would complexify configure for little gain.  Rather, use
> CONFIG_SITE and a global config.cache if you want to take such risks.

Depends on how many makefiles do you have - as automake doesn't
allow me to put subdirectory source files into one single makefile
I've 57 Makefiles in the whole avifile project (which now
almost succesfull pass even make distcheck test except for few minore
issues - i.e. for some reason depcomp is not included in one of its
subdirs)

I'm of course using config.cache - so that's why I'm complaing about
Makefile creation - as the time of makefile processing is
aproximately 3 times as big as the whole process of detectecion.
That's why I do believe it's really a problem which shuold be solved.

--
  .''`.  Which fundamental human right do you want to give up today?
 : :' :      Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}