Re: Autoconf speedup

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Autoconf speedup
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:19:56 -0700

> Zdenek> This would create some short simple Makefiles and these would
> Zdenek> include one global shared Makefile.inc where all the common
> Zdenek> targets & defines would be specified.

There's no reason why you need to make all of your makefiles autoconf
targets.  Just have autoconf generate a single makefile that your other
makefiles include.  autoconf supports this quite well.  We've been doing
things this way with INN from the beginning, and it's much faster and much
more convenient than the standard approach of having dozens of generated
makefiles, one for each directory.

You can't use automake, of course, but this is one of the major reasons
why I don't much like automake.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>