Re: long long int autoconf macro

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: long long int autoconf macro
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 00:36:01 +0200

Philip Willoughby wrote:
Today, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

Hi

I started to use your autoconf macro (from
http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/htmldoc/ac_c_long_long.html) for
long long int.  I was wondering if "long long" is the same of "long long
int".  I'm asking this because it looks that on some systems (as
reported by some user of the program I maintain, GNU gengetopt) the
macro succeeds but then the compiler complains about my use of "long
long" variables.

'long long' is not a standardised type qualifier.  For all standard type
qualifiers ('long' 'signed' 'unsigned' 'short') it is permissible to omit
the int keyword, but all bets are off for 'long long'.  Having said that
GCC 2.95.x and 3.x.x, and icc 7.x.x have no problem with 'unsigned long
long' as a type - which compiler are you using?

I've never experienced problems, but a user reported an error with a non GNU compiler. It looks like this compiler accepts long long int, but not long long. I was then wondering if they represent the same type. If they do I won't bother using long long, and simply switch to long long int :)

do they represent the same type?

thanks
        Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD in Computer Science                            |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Tel +39 055 4796741, Fax +39 055 4796730           |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://www.lorenzobettini.it    |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://www.lorenzobettini.it/purple    Cover Band  |
|  http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite           |