Re: enable/disable configure options for subpackages

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: enable/disable configure options for subpackages
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:55:30 -0400

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 12:14:44PM +0200, Stepan Kasal wrote:

> I apologize for the wrong answer I gave previously.
>
> No, I don't know about any such solution.
>
> Of course some hacks are possible:
> 1) fiddle with ac_args before AC_OUTPUT.
>    Of course this solution may easily break with future versions of autoconf.
>
> 2) Read what AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS does (how it propagates the arguments), and
>    do the same in configure.ac
>
> 3) Simply call the embedded configure, and add features from
>    AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS only when someone asks for it.
>
> All these advices are obvious, I know...

These answers are all very helpful. However, I'm wondering if there is a
simple way of sending the --disable-shared option to AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS
in a way that will be good with future versions of autoconf.

Just wondering if this feature is supported by autoconf? Does autoconf
only pass the explicit arguments down to the lower confurations? or if I
have a --enable-shared=no defaulted option, would that work?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi