Re: FYI webpage update

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: FYI webpage update
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:15:29 +0000 (UTC)

В Thu, 06 Sep 2007 20:55:16 -0600, Bob Proulx написа:

> I changed the headers so that replies remain in the autoconf list and
> not over at the non-public www-discuss list.  That looks to have been an
> unintentional artifact of the way that message was forwarded.

OK.  I replied to Eric privately as I didn't want to bother the autoconf
lists.

> As to the translations, I like the silly things and appreciate the sites
> that have a sense of humor.

I don't mind humor either.  The trouble is that these two "translations"
are for "languages" that doesn't have ISO code assigned.  We have enough
complaints already that translated articles don't follow the standards
(and W3C's rapidly changing ones); furthermore -- I find the presence of
them at the "Translations" field confusing, at least to some of the
readers.

The simplest rationale is this: You wouldn't include alt-sc.po in the /po
directory of your package as a valid translation of the program, right?

> A sense of humor is very important.

No objection to that.  Just an idea: Create a <h3>Autoconf Humor</h3> and
add these links in the main content, possibly with other amusing stuff.

> Perhaps it would be useful to say in the "translations of this page"
> part that translations are done on a best effort basis by the
> translation team and may not be as up to date as the main version.

We're working on a new gnu.org-wide system for handling of translations
with gettext.  It will allow translators to track and update the
translations much better.  Currently I have no clear plans how to deal
with GNU packages, since they have their own repositories and are (quite
correctly) under the control of the relevant GNU maintainers.  Once that
system is up, I'll think about a way what can be done.  For this specific
problem, we could put a notice "This translation is not 100%
complete" (or whatever) that will appear when necessary.

Either way, this is work in progress and we will certainly discuss
handling of /software with the GNU maintainers, when the time comes.