Re: pthreads

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: pthreads
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:25:04 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Stefan Bienert wrote:
I already found acx_pthread in the autoconf-archive but it has the wrong license for me. The macro is GPL with an exception on the product of it. I need somethin BSDish with sort of no limitations in use...

It is good to keep these issues in mind:

  * Autoconf's own macros use a somewhat similar license.

  * GPLv2 only restricts copying of the resulting "program".

  * Macros are already in primary source code form and thereby
    automatically satisfy GPL while they are distributed.

It is true that if the text of this macro is included in your package that it then includes source components which are GPL even if the built package is not GPL. You might be required to provide notice of that.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn