Re: pthreads

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: pthreads
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:38:07 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Stefan Bienert wrote:
it then includes source components which are GPL even if the built package is not GPL. You might be required to provide notice of that.

OK, now I'm a little bit confused. It is OK to distribute your configure.ac with all the macro calls while having your own license on the package? I

This is why the macros provide a special exception case for when the result of using them is incorporated in a configure script.

Note that most of these special exceptions don't seem to cover the case that the macro is incorporated into aclocal.m4 by the 'aclocal' program or if the package maintainer decides to include the original .m4 file in his package, or copy it into acinclude.m4.

macro code? Wait, calling a macro is legally not the same as copying code, right? Urk, my head starts aking. Why can't life be as simple as C?

Using a macro typically inserts code from the macro into the configure script. Using 'aclocal' to make sure that all the macros are defined independent of packages (e.g. autoconf, automake, libtool) installed on the system happens to copy those macros (verbatim) into an aclocal.m4 file (as needed).

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn