How to specify /var/lib in autoconf?

From: David Bruce
Subject: How to specify /var/lib in autoconf?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:52:00 -0500

Hi,

I'm about to start modifying my program (Tux Typing) so as to allow
creation of custom word lists.  The gist is that I need to have
modifiable files that are visible to all users.  I have been told by
knowledgable people that the appropriate location for these files
would be /var/lib/tuxtype, similar to where databases place their
files. (I presume /var/lib/tuxtype is correct if prefix is /usr, but
it would be /var/local/tuxtype with the default prefix /usr/local?).

Anyway, how do I specify this in an autotools-based program?  The
closest predefined variable seems to be "localstatedir", but the
autoconf manual says it is "$prefix/var."  My Debian system doesn't
have either "/usr/var" or "/usr/local/var".  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David Bruce