Re: Getting a list of available C compilers

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: Getting a list of available C compilers
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:22:46 +0100

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>> * Steffen Dettmer wrote on Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 02:58:30PM CET:
>>> interesting that this looks for "cl.exe" but not for "CL.EXE".
>>
>> You didn't quote the part where I wrote "untested".

(ohh sorry for that. I didn't wanted to blame anyone. I thought
it had been copied from somewhere)

By default in automake Makefile there is "EXEEXT = .exe" etc. As
just asked why. I think Windows uses .exe and .EXE (CL.EXE,
TASKMAN.EXE vs. explorer.exem StartAs.exe). Strange OS that...

>> Adding CL.EXE may be prudent for wine.
>
> It may be prudent if the port of the shell to wine doesn't work
> properly.  (since the underlying filesystem is caseless, the
> port should take that into account).

The linux shell that calls WINE of course is case-sensitive
(this shell checks the CC).
Inside WINE, most programs will be case-insensitive even if
running on ext3 file systems.

anyway.

Steffen