Finding dependencies in lib64 or lib

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Finding dependencies in lib64 or lib
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:37:26 +0000

Hi,

I've been looking over configure.in for the Ganglia project.

The project depends on some other libs, and their locations can be
specified with configure arguments, for example:

--with-libconfuse=/usr/local

The original configure.in would then try -L/usr/local/lib

However, there are platforms where 64 bit libraries should be in
*/lib64, e.g. the search for libconfuse should try /usr/local/lib64 on
those platforms.

My initial solution is to test $host

LIB_SUFFIX=lib
case $host in
x86_64-redhat-linux*)
  LIB_SUFFIX=lib64
esac

but a proper solution needs to test against all the architectures listed
in the FHS:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#LIB64

and also know about the non-FHS compliant cases (e.g. Debian)

Is anyone aware of macros for doing this and helping me set LIB_SUFFIX
correctly for a particular $host?

Regards,

Daniel