Re: Finding dependencies in lib64 or lib

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: Finding dependencies in lib64 or lib
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:51:57 +0000

Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
>> It is not quite so simple - the third party library may be installed
>> elsewhere, e.g. /opt/confuse-2.6/lib64
>>
>> The --with-libconfuse option only accepts the base directory (e.g.
>> --with-libconfuse=/opt/confuse-2.6) and configure has to decide whether
>> to append /lib or /lib64 to find the right dependencies.
>
> This use of '--with-libconfuse' to derive both -I and -L flags may be
> traditional, but for bi-arch systems with, e.g.  lib and lib64, this
> is just
> a broken design.  [And there may be other reasons why headers and
> libraries
> are not in FOO/include and FOO/lib with the same prefix.]
>
> IMHO a sane way is to use two options '--with-libconfuse-include' and
> '--with-libconfuse-libdir' or some such.
>
> And for backwards compatibility one could interprete
> '--with-libconfuse=DIR'
> as '--with-libconfuse-include=DIR/include
> --with-libconfuse-libdir=DIR/lib'.

I agree that this is one solution, and Ralf's suggestion about LDFLAGS
is also valid of course.

I didn't see any example in the documentation endorsing a particular
approach, and every project I've looked at seems to handle the problem
in a slightly different way.  Of course maybe many of them are a little
broken.

There is another case that we handle as well: some libs provide a
-config script, e.g. apr-1-config, so you can specify

./configure --with-libapr=/opt/apr-1/bin/apr-1-config

and configure will interrogate apr-1-config to get the LDFLAGS and CFLAGS