Re: AC_PROG_LD manual?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_LD manual?
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 14:28:36 -0600

On 05/05/2010 09:26 AM, Lukas Kaser wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a here which uses AC_PROG_LD, but I don't know
> about the purpose of this macro. Unfortunately I do not find and any
> doc about it.

Autoconf does not define this macro.  It comes from somewhere else; most
likely from libtool back in the days before libtool decided to use the
LT_ macro namespace instead of infringing on autoconf, and still exists
in libtool today for backwards compatibility.  At a birds-eye level, it
is similar to AC_CHECK_TOOL([LD], [ld], ...) for finding the appropriate
cross-linker.  But in general, you are better off using $CC instead of
$LD for linking, as your compiler may know additional things that you
would have to manually supply on the command line to a raw linker.

Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library