Error when using make distcheck

From: jerome hamm
Subject: Error when using make distcheck
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:45:23 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to pack some software using udev rules, which therefore needs
to copy some files to /lib/udev/rules.d.
When I try and run make distcheck, at the step where it must  install the
files in /lib/udev/rules.d it hopelessly fails because of permission issues.

My rules (leeched from  the upower project) are the following:
<Makefile.am>
udevrules_DATA = \
95-evvgc.rules
<configure.ac>
# UDEV for device permission acces setting
AC_ARG_WITH([udevrulesdir],
            AS_HELP_STRING([--with-udevrulesdir=DIR], [Directory for udev
rules]),
            [],
            [with_udevrulesdir=$($PKG_CONFIG --variable=udevdir
udev)"/rules.d"])
AC_SUBST([udevrulesdir], [$with_udevrulesdir])

Someone in the #autotools channel told that it should try to copy the files
in a subfolder of the test folder (not the system root).
What I also don't understand is why it doesn't work when I try fakeroot
make distcheck ...
What am I doing wrong?

I can send you the tarball if you need.

Cheers,