Re: A Closer Look at GNU AutoTools

From: Shawn H Corey
Subject: Re: A Closer Look at GNU AutoTools
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 17:00:21 -0400

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 16:33:13 -0400
Nick Bowler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can you be more constructive?  I think Autoconf and Automake have
> rather good manuals[1][2].  Why are they crappy?  How can we make
> them better?
>
> [1] https://gnu.org/s/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html
> [2] https://gnu.org/s/automake/manual/automake.html

When was the last time you read completely through those manuals?
There's too much information all at once. And I didn't say the manuals
were bad. It's that the documentation is too dense and not organized
for learning. In other words, crappy.

It took me two days to find the diagram on my blog from Wikipedia. It
should have been one of the first things I searched for.

--
Don't stop where the ink does.
        Shawn