RE: A Closer Look at GNU AutoTools

From: John Calcote
Subject: RE: A Closer Look at GNU AutoTools
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 09:57:15 -0600

> The division "open source" vs "commercial" is wrong. you certainly know
that
> open source is a development model, it can be and it is used both in
> commercial and non-commercial projects.

I'm sorry - you're absolutely right Ineiev - please forgive my oversight. I
made a fatal mistake using "open source" vs "commercial". Of course, I meant
"free software" vs "commercial". I tend toward that mistake and it's silly
that I do because I've worked for companies like Novell that capitalize on
open source all the time.

> date, but it's about 85% of the same content as the published book and  >
> formatted in a similar manner. I could have requested that the site owner,
>
> Tony Mobily, remove it from the site and he would have complied (because
> > he's a nice guy), but I felt it was important to contribute back to the
>
> community in some way for the help they gave me in writing the book in the
> > first place.)
>
> I hope you didn't intend to say that people have to restrict their readers
in
> order to get money for writing manuals. that wouldn't be true.

No - not at all - the only reasons I haven't gotten the online version up to
date are laziness and/or lack of time. I'll get around to it sometime soon.

John