Re: Where to install a daemon

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Where to install a daemon
Date: 17 Jan 2001 13:44:32 -0700

>>>>> "Bill" == Bill Segall <address@hidden> writes:

Bill> As part of my package I want to install a daemon and I have
Bill> three reasonable places to install int which are bin, sbin and
Bill> libexec. On a Linux system sbin seems like the natural place but
Bill> on *BSD libexec is natural. I was trying to find out how to make
Bill> this choice based on architecture but I'll confess to be begin
Bill> stumped - any suggestions or is this simply impossible?

It is possible.

In configure.in, figure out which directory you want to use and set an
automake conditional.

Then in Makefile.am do this:

    if USE_SBIN
    mybindir = $(sbindir)