Re: Creating a link with automake

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Creating a link with automake
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:44:53 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017, Bernhard Seckinger wrote:

I've got a program, that contains some php-script frontend (cli not web)
(and other stuff, which is irrelevant here). I've put the php-scripts into
$pkgdatadir. Now I'd like to have a link from $bindir to the main script i.e.

ln -s ${pkgdatadir}/croco.php ${bindir}/croco

To do this I've added to the Makefile.ac the following:

install-exec-local:
   mkdir -p ${bindir}
   ln -s ${pkgdatadir}/croco.php ${bindir}/croco

When using "make install" this works. But when I run "make distcheck" I get an
error, telling that I'm not allowed to create the ${bindir}. I've allready
tried to replace the mkdir command with

   ${srcdir}/../install-sh -d ${bindir}

which is probably architecture-independend, but I still get a similar error.

Does anyone know, how to do this?

You need to add support for the DESTDIR environment variable, which specifies an alternate directory path to install into. Perhaps this will work:

install-exec-local:
        mkdir -p ${DESTDIR}${bindir}
        ln -s ${DESTDIR}${pkgdatadir}/croco.php ${DESTDIR}${bindir}/croco

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn