[avr-chat] Patching USBasp and AVRdude

From: smcx
Subject: [avr-chat] Patching USBasp and AVRdude
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:08:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am using AVRdude bundles with WinAVR in Windows Vista, and using the
latest (2007) build of usbasp. When I try to read from a atmega 8, read is
successful. But verify fails when I try to write into the device. I suspect
this is due to too fast clock from AVR. (I am using the slow clock jumper.)
To decrease the clock speed to the slowest one possible, I searched with
google and found your patch. Problem is, I don't understand how to apply the
patches. Could you please help me out here?

Another thing, I cannot "make" the firmware of the usbasp with the supplied
make file. I used make all option from Programmers Notepad:

> "make.exe" all
make.exe: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.

> Process Exit Code: 2
> Time Taken: 00:00

And here is the output from AVRdude (I was using AVR8-Burn-O-Mat as a GUI)

C:\WinAVR-20071221\bin\avrdude.exe -q -u -C
C:\WinAVR-20071221\bin\avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp -D -E
noreset,novcc  -U flash:w:E:\Labsoft\ATMEGA8\main.hex:a
avrdude.exe: WARNING: -E option not supported by this programmer type

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9307
avrdude.exe: reading input file "E:\Labsoft\ATMEGA8\main.hex"
avrdude.exe: input file E:\Labsoft\ATMEGA8\main.hex auto detected as Intel
Hex
avrdude.exe: writing flash (140 bytes):
avrdude.exe: 140 bytes of flash written
avrdude.exe: verifying flash memory against E:\Labsoft\ATMEGA8\main.hex:
avrdude.exe: load data flash data from input file
E:\Labsoft\ATMEGA8\main.hex:
avrdude.exe: input file E:\Labsoft\ATMEGA8\main.hex auto detected as Intel
Hex
avrdude.exe: input file E:\Labsoft\ATMEGA8\main.hex contains 140 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip flash data:
avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0002
            0x2c != 0x28
avrdude.exe: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.