[avr-chat] AVR solutions for image processing

From: Shashank Chintalagiri
Subject: [avr-chat] AVR solutions for image processing
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 19:04:16 +0530

Hi,

I'm working on something that requires me to obtain images from a CCD / Line sensor at a relatively high frame rate (~30 fps, maybe more :|) at resolutions comparable to 1024x768 pixels. The application is actually for a low earth orbit satellite (So yes, I know I should ideally know much more about this than I do). We plan to take a quick succession of images and run image processing routines on it to make the images clearer and of higher resoultion. Could anyone tell me what kind of processing power I should be looking at for this? Would an advanced ATMega series controller be able to handle the load or is ARM7 (or blackfin) the minimum required for this? I dont need specific number, just any impressions you might have out of the top of your head. There are people working on the specifics here as I write this, but I was hoping to get some sort of an informed opinion before I commit to how much I can get the processor to do. :)

Thanks
Chintalagiri Shashank

--
Chintalagiri Shashank