Re: [avr-chat] Storing B&W bitmap images into Flash : file format sugges

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Storing B&W bitmap images into Flash : file format suggestion ?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:56:03 +1030

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:39:04 +1030
>
> "Daniel O'Connor" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I just had a look, the C exporter in GIMP only supports RGB,
> > although it can generate an RLE decoder for you..
>
> Yes I gve it a try and noticed this ! :-(
> I also trried exporting as PNM as suggested, but the plug-in/filter
> crashes, doesn't work ! Grr...

Starting to sound like too much work IMO :)

Also it only does RGBA which will cost you lots of RAM since you only
want B&W.

> I don't know what RLE is, will look at this. Have been unable to
> investigate because on monday and tuesday my ISP dropped my internet
> connection, it got fixed only an hour ago !

RLE is Run Length Encoding, a basic compression scheme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-length_encoding

> If I can't find a way to generate a C source file with an existing
> utility, I think I will try and write my own little C program to do
> it. It can be that complicated !
> I just need to do some reading to figure out the commands needed to
> open/read/write files...

FreeBSD comes with 'file2c'
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/usr.bin/file2c/file2c.c?revision=200462&view=markup

It would probably compile anywhere if you remove the __FBSDID line.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum