Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc adding 'cli's in function prologues...

From: Ludovic COURTES
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc adding 'cli's in function prologues...
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:27:14 +0200

Hi !

I finally found what was going wrong with gcc's prologue and epilogue.
As i wrote before (see below), avr-gcc uses Y (r29:r28) to store stack
pointer and then decrement it in order to reserve some space for local
variables in SRAM (this is done in function prologue) and then increment
it with the same value to restore original SP (this is done in epilogue).

The problem is that gcc doesn't save Y at the end of prologue. Therefore,
if your code uses theses registers and modify them, then the ret instruction
won't do what you want it to (as the SP will be wrong) !
I fixed it just by adding a "push y" and a "pop y" at the beginning and
at the end of my code.

--
Ludovic Courtes
  University of Technology of Belfort-Montbeliard