[avr-gcc-list] m128 can not be programmed

From: Sander Pool
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] m128 can not be programmed
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 19:06:00 -0800

Folks,

I posted the message below on one of the avrfreaks forums. Just in case some
of you don't read those, here's a copy of my message.

Thanks!

        Sander

------

Hi all,

it's been a long time since I've posted but I finally got my m128 board put
together. I wrote a super simple test program and verified with a mega163 on
the STK500 that it works. My m128 board uses the 10 pin ISP connector from
the STK500 for programming and a 4053 to multiplex the programming signals
with the RS232 level converter.

When I try to program my m128 for the first time it tells me that it can't
program the device. I briefly see the reset LED light up, indicating that a
programming attempt is made. I power the board from my STK500. Here are
things that I measured:

Before programming:

- VCC and GND signals look good
- No clock signal (this worries me but perhaps default fuse setting doesn't
use external chrystal?)
- PEN is high
- RESET is high

While programming (half a second or so)

- RESET goes low
- SCK shows clock activity on actual m128 pin
- MOSI shows activity
- MISO seems to show activity but I'm not 100% sure

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can measure? This is my first SMD
double sided board that I baked myself so I had to redo some of the m128
pins a few times. Perhaps it overheated?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Sander