Re: [avr-gcc-list] New User: C++ Debugging

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] New User: C++ Debugging
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:32:08 +0200 (MET DST)

James Dabbs <address@hidden> wrote:

> First, Avarice crashed as soon as a typed "target cisco
> localhost 4242" from GDB.

target remote localhost:4242

> Is there a compliance map of what JEDEC S/W versions are
> required to work with Avarice?

Maybe Ted can answer this.  Perhaps you need the latest CVS version
for it.  So far, i haven't been successful with avarice neither, but i
haven't tried too hard (i. e. i didn't try CVS again).

> (PS.  Why doesn't Atmel just support elf?

I don't know why they've been chosing that archaic COFF in the first
place.  I thas been obsolete by about a decade when they made their
decision.  Probably because Windoze also uses (PE-)COFF.  I would have
understood their choice if they had had a long history and in-depth
knowledge of COFF formats, but they've done so many abominations with
COFF compared to the historic COFF versions, it's almost unbearable
(and not on purpose, but mostly since they didn't knew better, and
didn't research historic COFF usage very much before adding some
feature).

They keep telling that they do want to support ELF some day, and i'm
sure they've seen the dead end COFF is in particular for supporting
different languages than C.  However, i've got the feeling that if
this once will happen, they might chose DWARF debugging format.  This
is not what avr-gcc is currently using (it uses stabs debugging), but
i've seen the GNU toolchain successfully using DWARF2 on other
architectures (namely, on FreeBSD 5), so it can't be that hard to use
it in the AVR arch as well.