Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gdb and simulavr memory addressing

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gdb and simulavr memory addressing
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 22:05:26 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <address@hidden> you write:

>I know you said in your documentation that you separated
>display from the simulation on purpose but I believe
>that there is a lot to be said for a more integrated
>environment, similar to AVR Studio but without Windows.
>I think this can be done without changing the simulavr
>code but wrapping it in a user interface.  I'm thinking
>Linux console not X because I have limited hardware
>resources.

I don't think that makes much sense.  Why drop the well-developed GDB
code?  It seems to me that all you need is a curses-based frontend to
GDB.  Of course, there's always Emacs :-), but if you type "gdb curses
frontend" into Google, you'll find cgdb which is perhaps already close
to what you're going to want (i guess -- i didn't try myself, i'm happy
enough with GDB's command-line).  No reinvented wheels.

Perhaps there needs to be a tighter integration with the register/
memory display window from simulavr (which is IMHO much more needed
when programming assembler than C), but then, since this is done using
a coprocess already, i think there's a good chance to combine this
somehow into the existing UI.

That way, you'll keep the existing modularization that allows for a
relatively independent development of each of the components.