Re: [avr-gcc-list] Yet another Butterfly gcc-port attempt

From: Martin Thomas
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Yet another Butterfly gcc-port attempt
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:48:23 +0200

Hi Stephan,

> >I'd like to ask for help with another AVR-Butterfly AVR-GCC-Port attempt.
>>
>>I found some information about this in the list-archive (July 2003) and in
> >--8<-- snip -->8--
> >When the code hopefully will work sometime I think it would be a good idea
> >add it to the examples directory in the WINAVR or avr-libc
> >distribution-package.
> >Giving beginners (like me) a good starting point for own developments on a
> >relativly
> >cheap prototyping hardware. Presumed there are no copyright issues.
> >

> Good idea. I think it's a good example package for m169 programming and
> AVR programming in common. I will include your work into my CDK4AVR
> project in future. Inform me about a final release.

Thank you for your reply. Well, I'm finished. I've ported the complete
BF-application
to avr-gcc/avr-libc. But I see a problem with the copyright as you can read
on the web-page mentioned in the original post to the list. I've sent a message
to ATMEL but did not get any reaction on this. There is no license.txt or
something
like this in their source-package. The code is free for own firmware-
developments. So the hex-File of the gcc-port is downloadable. But I don't know
if derived code can be published freely in source-form because of at least
two copyright notes.  I've tried to work around with "diff" and "patch" but my
diff-file does not patch against the ATMEL-code. Even if it will work it would
still be a workaround. The port would not fit into your CDK4AVR as a
"patchfile".

The code should be a good example for different tasks: porting from IAR-code to
the open-source tools, accessing progmem with gcc (working around __FLASH),
LCD access, RTC, ADC, eeprom...  Acknowledgement goes to ATMEL/Norway.
I've only ported the code (which was not that easy than I've thought first).

You will be informed if the copyright issue is solved - it may be a non-issue.

Martin