Re: [avr-gcc-list] Table in bootloader section

From: E . Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Table in bootloader section
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:03:09 GMT

> Hello !
>
> I have already posted this but nobody solved this, so I
am trying once
> again:
>
> I would like to put an pre-defined array in the
bootloader section. I
> know how to place code in the bootloader section, but I
am unable to put
> an array in the same section.
>
> prog_char table[] __attribute__ ((section
(".bootloader"))) = {1,2,3,4,5};

> The file compile well, but the table is not in the
supposed section.

> marko

AFAICT, there's no way to do this, at this moment.

When you use prog_char, a variable attribute will be placed
on your variable that causes it to be always be placed in
the .progmem.data section. (See the GCC user manual, in C
Extensions for more info about attributes.) AFAIK, that is
the only way to get data into the Program Memory.

If you really need to save this data when doing
bootloading, you can always copy the data from this address
to a known, fixed address in the bootloader space and then
access it from there.

Eric