Re: [avr-gcc-list] RFC gcc multiple memory space implementation

From: Svein E. Seldal
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] RFC gcc multiple memory space implementation
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:45:36 +0200

Jeff Barlow skrev:
I suggest that a good starting point would be for everyone who is
contemplating this issue to first read:
http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1021.pdf
This is going to be part of standard C. Let's not start reinventing the
wheel, please.

Thanks.

In section 3.1.2, the draft standard proposes regarding the memoryspaces can be found, which is exactly the same of what I am proposing. (Interesting enough because I did not know of this draft standard until now.)

The proposal suggests using the syntax _X, _Y, etc. Which in turn could translate to _Flash or _Progmem for our application.

I think the [gcc] community has to decide if we are to get our own keyword _X or that we have to use an __attribute__ to do the same thing. My general impression is that GCC has a tendency towards using attributes over _Keywords and #pragma's. We'll see.

Svein