RE: [avr-gcc-list] RE: internal error: out of range error ( Theodore A.

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] RE: internal error: out of range error ( Theodore A. Roth)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:29:02 -0700

Hi Robert,

> Do you mean that you use the archiver to put the objects into
> a library?
>
> That's the way I'm linking objects into a library:
>
> avr-ld -r -TF:/projects/undercvs/bergomat/config/atmega128_341.xr
> comm_avr.elf commrtos.elf avr_atmega_128.elf  -o libcomm.a
>
> I link the elf files and produce the library.

What you've produced isn't what is traditionally know as a library. Even
though you called it libcomm.a, it's actually an object file. The linker
basically always produces object files. Executables are basically a
special type of object file where there are no unresolved references.

If you happen to have Cygwin installed, and you run the 'file' command
on the libcomm.a file, it will report something like this:

        libcomm.a: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped

Whereas, if you create it this way:

        avr-ar r libtest.a foo.o

And then run the file command on libtest.a, you'll get:

        avr-ar r libtest.a foo.o

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada