Re: [avr-gcc-list] why are the whole source lines not all visible in .ls

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] why are the whole source lines not all visible in .lst?
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:23:47 -0600

gouy yann wrote:

Hi all,

i don't know if it is exactly the rigth mailing list
but, IMHO, it seems not that bad.

most of the time, the source lines are not visible in
.lst file for static functions.

at first, I think it was because they got "inlined"
but some weren't (some we're called via pointers to
them) and the behaviour finally seems more chaotic
than this first quick explanation.

I've done some tests giving avr-objdump the following
parameters "avr-objdump -h -S -x -d -s -g -t -T -a -f
-p" (the big list :) ).
it appears that the debugging informations in the .elf
file gives the exact fit between the source line and
the asm address.

so, is this a bug in avr-objdump or a misuse of the
parameters?

I'm using WinAVR 20040720 but I've noticed the same
behaviour in the previous versions.

The parameters that are used to generate the .lst file can be found in the WinAVR makefile template (and the MFile makefile template, as they are the same).

There is no particular standard or magic about them; Feel free to change the parameters as you see fit in your makefile. The whole point was to provide a suitable mixed C and assembly listing.

If somebody happens to come across a better set of parameters that works across optimization settings then let the list know and we'll see about changing the makefile template.

FYI, the .lss file seems to be ok for me. The only down side is that it contains your entire source code. It's not per module. Let me know what you think.

Eric