Re: [avr-gcc-list] why are the whole source lines not all visible in .ls

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] why are the whole source lines not all visible in .lst?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:09:06 +1000

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:04:28AM +0200, gouy yann wrote:
> Hello,
> I've made in simple example that shows a part of the problem.

There were no attachments in the received post, so I don't have any of
your results to go on. :-(

> in file essai2.c, if you comment the line of the call to z(), the
> essai.lst shows the source lines of functions x() and y(). if you
> don't comment it, neither lines from x(), y() nor z() are shown.

Is it only C source lines that are missing, or the corresponding lines
of assembler as well?

It wouldn't be that z() calls x() & y(), so they are dead code when z()
is not invoked? GCC may be clever enough to discard dead code. (Just
guessing) Does a -Wall show anything related?

> avr-nm doesn't shows the symbol for x(), y)( or z() but at the end of
> the .lst file, you can find information about the source lines and
> their corresponding asm address.

I'm not sure that I understand the second clause. I thought that this is
what was missing.

In any event, the new information does seem to rapidly lead away from
avr-objdump, doesn't it?

Erik