Re: [avr-gcc-list] How often does your code not fit?

From: Keith Gudger
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How often does your code not fit?
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 07:59:01 -0700 (PDT)

Ben:

Regarding space optimization, this is one area I've been meaning to
investigate.  I posted a message about how IAR does so much better on my
code, and here is a response I've been saving (I hope Neil Johnson doesn't
mind my reposting his reply):

> The space optimization tricks that IAR does have seems like an
> interesting thread to follow. Since avr-gcc and Atmel's AVRs are here to
> stay, it certainly would pay off to get those integrated.

Do a google on "Procedural Abstraction" and "Cross Linking", or hunt out
papers at citeseer.com.

There is a standalone tool (aiPop) that does quite aggressive post-link
optimization on C16x/ST10 code:

        http://www.absint.com

where they use the term "functional abstraction".

I'm not sure how well proc.abs has yet been implemented in GCC.  There are
several goes in academic circles, but so far as I know nothing in the main
GCC distribution.

Neil
--
Neil Johnson :: Computer Laboratory :: University of Cambridge ::
http://www.njohnson.co.uk          http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~nej22

Keith Gudger