Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!

From: Christopher G. Morlier
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:21:11 -0500

Richard Urwin wrote:

With CVS an engineer locks a file to work on it. <snip>

Although CVS provides locks, it is strongly recommended that you don't use them. We use CVS at work, and never use locking. CVS does a great job with merging different people's mods. The only time you typically run into problems is when two people have touched the same lines of the same file, and this is not very common (at least in my experience...maybe this has to do with how tasks are partitioned among developers). Even when a conflict does occur, they are usually fairly easy to remedy. Basically, I find it is just a good idea to update and commit regularly (at _least_ once a day). If I have major changes that will take more than a day, I make a branch so that I don't destabilize the main development branch.

That said, if I were starting fresh I would probably choose SVN.

-Chris