Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!

From: Andy Warner
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:18:50 -0500

Purely factual corrections follow, I'm not grinding
any axes here..

Richard Urwin wrote:
> [...]
> With CVS an engineer locks a file to work on it. You end up not being
> able to work because you need to edit a locked file. Administrators can
> break locks, but that leads to further problems later. As an engineer
> you can find that the file you thought was safely locked has been
> modified out from under you. SVN has no locks; they are unnecessary.

Wrong - cvs users _can_ lock a file. I've used cvs for donkeys
years and _never_ locked a file.

> With CVS, any time two engineers have edited the same file one of them
> has to painstakingly go through the file merging their changes into the
> modified file by hand. With SVN that only happens if the engineers have
> changed the same part of the same file, and that is rare.

Wrong again, cvs will happily merge changes that don't get in
each others way.

> [correct stuff about CVS skipped ...]
> ISTR merging branches back into the main branch is trivially easy with
> SVN, with CVS it is anything but.

Dunno about "anything but", but you do have to be comfortable
generating potentially large patches and applying them. I've done
it for non-trivial products and managed not to gnaw my own arm off.
--
address@hidden

Andy Warner             Voice: (612) 801-8549   Fax: (208) 575-5634