Re: [avr-gcc-list] Cont. Programming in eeprom in avrdude

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Cont. Programming in eeprom in avrdude
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:44:14 -0600

Sumeet Pal Singh wrote:
Hi
I just wish to continue the question.
Sure the eeprom can be programmed using -U eeprom:w:<yourfilename> option. but the file needs to be intel hex file or motorola M file. To generate intel hex file the 1-byte checksum needs to be generated after each line. This is the cause of all trouble. If I do generate a hex file then even a minor change to it requires a lot of calculator work. Does someone have a program which takesin hex values and can generate hex files in easier(direct) way.

I haven't done this, but IIRC, in your code you can declare variables that are located in EEPROM, preassign them variables, and then using the WinAVR Makefile Template (or a makefile generated by MFile), the tools will split off a separate hex file for the eeprom (which has the file extension of .eep). You should then download this hex file to the eeprom. See the avr-libc user manual in the EEPROM Handling section on how to declare an eeprom variable:
<http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/group__avr__eeprom.html>

Somebody let me know if I've missed something.

Eric