[avr-gcc-list] Re: [Bug target/31786] error: unable to find a register t

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [Bug target/31786] error: unable to find a register to spill in class 'BASE_POINTER_REGS'
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 15:39:07 -0500

Eric Weddington wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Sherrill [mailto:address@hidden Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 11:59 AM
To: Eric Weddington
Cc: 'Ralf Corsepius'; address@hidden

But none of this justifies ignoring the original bug just because the code was in newlib not avr-libc. It is still a compiler bug and could eventually show
up somewhere else in code you really do care about.

Of course not. I did not mean to imply that. Just as you well know, time and
volunteers are hard to come by. I was hoping that perhaps a workaround (even
as large as using avr-libc instead of newlib) would be a faster way to get
you where you want to go. I have no idea how long it will take to fix this
issue.

We keep pushing RTEMS into smaller and smaller spaces so someday we might be in a
position to consider this.  But today it would just be a distraction.
Another alternative would be to fall back to using 3.4.6, as that version
seems to be fairly stable.
Luckily one of the the things Ralf has contributed to RTEMS is an RPM infrastructure that makes every targets tool versions and patch set independent. They are generally kept in sync but it does allow us to handle this possibility. With tools provided for 11
target  architectures that is a necessity.

Right now, we are using gcc 4.0.3 for the avr with this same newlib.    And
it looks like 4.2.0 won't compile all RTEMS code for the PowerPC so the PowerPC
is likely to stay at 4.1.x until that bug is resolved.

--joel
Eric