Re: [avr-gcc-list] USB

From: Xiaofan Chen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] USB
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:16:53 +0800

On 10/17/07, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Shashank Chintalagiri" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of any chip that will let me interface with USB
> > devices from an ATmega, that is available in DIP packages?
>
> An AVR itself. ;-)  There are a number of software-USB solutions
> around for it (including an Atmel appnote).  However, they all are
> low-speed USB solutions.

But this kind of firmware-only based USB does not confirm to
USB standard. So they might be ok for personal use but not
that good for product.

Quote from
http://www.obdev.at/products/avrusb/index.html
"Fully USB 1.1 compliant low-speed device, **except**
handling of communication errors and electrical specifications."

This simple means that it is not compliant to USB specifications!

If you really want to get a USB MCUs with DIP packages,
Microchip offers quite some: 28pin (PIC18F2550/etc)
and 40pin (PIC18F4550/etc).

Xiaofan
http://mcuee.blogspot.com