[avr-gcc-list] Re: TinyOs avr-gcc-4 - a wrap-up

From: Gre7g Luterman
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: TinyOs avr-gcc-4 - a wrap-up
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:57:00 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Gay <address@hidden> wrote:

> Another variation on this approach is building a
> "kernel" in
> nesC/TinyOS, which has a nice C interface for
> application-level
> programs. I believe several people are looking into
> doing something
> like this.

Well, not to detract from this spirited discussion,
but using a kernel approach doesn't really solve the
question at hand, does it?  The problem is that TinyOS
is written in nesC and no one has ported nesC to AVR.

As a passive observer of this thread, it sounds like
the answer for the original poster is, "No, you cannot
run TinyOS on AVR and there is no plan on the horizon
to make it so it can."

Furthermore, it sounds like there are similar packages
which are pure-C, and so would be the way to go if you
want to use an existing OS on an AVR.

Finally, it sounds like if you really needed to have
TinyOS running on an AVR and were not afraid to tackle
a huge project, the TinyOS people would rather you
worked on a nesC compiler for the AVR rather than
trying to rewrite TinyOS.  Various AVR posters would
rather TinyOS was rewritten, but hey, it's their
project! Both options sound pretty Herculean to me,
but that's the vibes I'm getting.

Pardon me for jumping in here.  I'm not trying to kill
this thread.  I'm finding it a fascinating read.  I
just like long threads to post a wrap-up for the sake
of the archive and anyone who would come looking for
this information later.

I now return you to your nesC/TinyOS debate, already
in progress.

Gre7g