RE: [Tinyos-devel] RE: [avr-gcc-list] Fwd: [Tinyos-help] TinyOs avr-gcc-

From: John Regehr
Subject: RE: [Tinyos-devel] RE: [avr-gcc-list] Fwd: [Tinyos-help] TinyOs avr-gcc-4
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:40:21 -0600 (MDT)

> can meet in the middle, where we all win. TinyOS is a great idea for sensor
> networks. I'd like to be able join forces to promote it further. I don't see

It seems likely that the toolchain problems can be made to go away with
modest effort.

Another step towards meeting in the middle could build on the "binary
component" feature of nesC, which was designed to support interoperation
with plain C.  If some interfaces can be agreed upon, then drivers for
various devices can be written in C and reused in TinyOS, MantisOS, and
SoS.  On the TinyOS side some wrappers would need to be written but this
is easy.  Assuming that multiple sensornet operating systems exist and
will continue to exist, this would seem to be the way forward.  Note that
there are several more OSs for mote-class hardware beyond those that have
been mentioned already.  Rewriting all drivers for all of these systems
would seem to amount to nothing more than an employment act for graduate
students :).

If we're talking about reuse of application-level logic, as opposed to
lower level components, then this would seem more difficult.

John