Re: [avr-gcc-list] Eclipse, avarice, JDB usage?

From: Dennis Clark
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Eclipse, avarice, JDB usage?
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:02:50 -0600 (MDT)

> dlc wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   No one on AVR-chat appears to use avarice, avr-gcc and Eclipse.  All
>> are using AVR studio or nothing at all for debugging.  SO, my question
>> to this group is.  How?  Does anyone have any experience using the
>> following nifty tools all together?
>> avr-gcc
>> avarice
>> Eclipse
>> Eclipse AVR plugin
>>
>> To debug a program?  It seems a lot of effort to create avarice to
>> connect to the ADB engine for debugging for no one to use it.  Is there
>> a group dedicated to that topic perhaps?
>
> I usually end up discussing avarice on avrdude-dev, which may not be the
> canonical place, but it seems like the right place to get information on
> avarice is where ever Joerg can be found :)
>
> Sorry to say I don't use Eclipse -- although I've been thinking I should
> try it :)  I use avr-gcc + avarice + gdb on Linux, but the old-fashioned
> command line way.
>
> Not being familiar with Eclipse, this is going to be a dumb question...
> but since avarice looks like any other gdb server isn't the hookup
> relatively straight forward? (He says as he waits for the dull thud of
> the clue stick.)

  You may be correct.  But I have not used GDB before.  I've used some
predecessors long ago in UNIX land, but when it comes to debuggers in
microcontrollers I have been strictly "printf" and/or an IDE holding my
hand.
  I've read that GDB can interface to Eclipse through a CDT(?) module,
which implies that avr-gdb will as well, but I have no clue how to
connect avarice to avr-gdb and have not yet found a "how to" so that I
can ask intelligent and informed questions.  So I too am awaiting a
thump on the head...

thanks,
DLC

--