Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: crosstool-NG

From: Trevor Woerner
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: crosstool-NG
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:14:18 -0500

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Graham Davies <address@hidden> wrote:
> Since you can have only one version of AVR Studio installed at a time and
> AVR Studio does not uninstall reliably, this means that I have to re-install
> the operating system to switch versions.

Wow, that's crazy!

As a possible work-around have you considered using VMs? You could
setup multiple VMs, each of which has a different version of the tools
installed. If you are done working with a particular version you can
shut it down until you need it again (and back it up, etc...).
Conversely, when you need a particular version of the tools, simply
run down your list of VMs and start the one that's appropriate.

Of course I'm ignoring licensing issues here. This sort of thing is
what I do all the time, but I only ever work in Linux environments
where I don't have to concern myself with the licensing of multiple
installed copies of various Linux OSes.

Having multiple VMs makes other things work really well too. Setup
your VMs then "export" them when they're newly installed and have all
the tools they need. New developer starts on Monday? No problem,
here's the VM s/he will need, they just need to import it into their
VM manager. At work we're still using a build/development environment
based on Fedora Core 4 (which is 6 years old). FC4 works fine for our
development work but nobody wants to be running an OS that old for
surfing the web, etc. So the host machine is something brand new with
all the latest updates, and inside that host we run FC4 VMs for the
development work.