Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: crosstool-NG

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: crosstool-NG
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 19:45:30 +0100

David Brown schrieb:
On 04/03/2011 06:20, Trevor Woerner wrote:

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Omar Choudary<address@hidden> wrote:

Trevor, your idea seems nice, although I would be even more enthusiastic to put all the patches into the mainstream gcc and
then just do a normal cross-build for the tools.

Yes, ideally this would be the best solution.

However, given the fact the patches exist but are still not yet
merged into the gcc project I simply assumed getting these patches
accepted by the gcc maintainers is not trivial.

One could use the GCC build machinery, anyway. Or is that too restricted? Up to now I have just experience with canadian crosses with --build=linux --host=mingw32 and --target=foo and that works out of the box. (After you got/built cross-build tools from linux to mingw32). For linux guys this is easier than doing native build under cygwin or whatever with build=host (actually I never tried that because the canonical solution works fine).

It always takes time (and effort!) for patches to make their way into
the main FSF gcc tree, and it takes time before these patches end up
in released versions.  gcc has a fair amount of bureaucracy, and the
tree supports a vast number of ports, hosts, and combinations.

You have to go through the bureaucracy only once (signing FSF/GPL stuff). As far as I can tell, getting patches into avr backend is no big deal, at least for straight forward stuff (I did'n yet try to get more elaborate stuff into avr). Even though GCC supports fair amount of whatever, avr development takes place in a small (with respect to rest of GCC) sandbox: the avr backend. Other parts of GCC are not affected by the work in that sandbox and thus is no issue for maintainers other than avr backend maintainers.

Johann