Re: [avr-gcc-list] Current patch queue against binutils upstream

From: Jan Waclawek
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Current patch queue against binutils upstream
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 22:27:44 +0100

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:56:05 +0100
Georg-Johann Lay <address@hidden> wrote:

> * PR13812   .trampolines location in linker script cause "internal error:
>             out of range error"
>
> Dunno if this is still an issue resp. can be solved by a better default
> linker script.  Maybe a user-specific ld script is needed here, too.

I'd say, this is not a bug, but abuse of the .progmem(.data) section, to be
resolved by enhanced documentation and adding dedicated "high progmem"
section(s) into the linker script. I "asked" for such in
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?26365 , I am unable to resolve the details
myself. Some diagnostic/warning issued by linker would be nice but is not worth
the hassle, IMHO.

JW

PS Sorry for hijacking the thread for one specific issue. Although it might be
a more appropriate place, I won't comment in the binutils tracker, as this is a
highly personal view and I believe many will find it controversial.