Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-libc does not have support for ATxmega16a4u or AT

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-libc does not have support for ATxmega16a4u or ATxmega32a4u
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 13:11:39 -0800

On 02/16/2014 12:48 PM, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As far as avr-libc is concerned, that's not necessary, since it's BSD-style
licensed.
No, but for gcc and binutils getting the patches upstream does require FSF paperwork.

However, I have no idea how much it would take to actually get the maintainers to accept the changes. It sounds like a fair bit, since avr-gcc and avr-binutils have pretty much *always* had a decent-sized list of patches against the mainline (e.g. those found in a debian package).

Yes, I'm guilty of doing too little avr-libc work in the past.  Mainly,
day job, family, and things like AVRDUDE and AVaRICE have kept me busy
enough.  If someone were to step forward, and take over the duties of
the release engineer for avr-libc, I certainly wouldn't say "Nay".
I don't know about the full release enginering, but I'm willing at least do what I can for avr-libc Xmega support, and try to do what I can with the binutils/gcc parts.