Re: [avrdude-dev] Butterfly proposal: Exit upgrade function

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Butterfly proposal: Exit upgrade function
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 04:24:38 +0100

On Thursday 05 February 2004 02:12, Martin Thomas wrote:

> > Well, it would be a bad idea to do it this, because the effect
> > would be the reverse compared to PPI-programmers.
> >
> > "reset" means that the device stays in reset after programming so
> > the application is not executed. While "noreset" means that the
> > main application starts.
>
> I may not get you right. So the following might not fit to your
> remark:
>
> So "reset" in avrdude-"standard" means "keep the  reset pin low".
> To keep the application from running. On the Butterfly the
> application won't start anyway since the users has to push the
> joystick up to exit the bootloader and jump to the application.
>
> "noreset" in avrdude-standard means "release the reset pin" and let
> the device start. This won't work on the Butterfly either because
> of the described behaviour.

Yes, that's right.

> Whatever option gets choosen: the default option (no command line
> option) should be that "E" is sent on avrdude exit. If not, this
> may cause some confusion and "support requests" if avrdude exits
> and the Butterfly does not react when the joystick is pushed up .

I agree that the default behaviour should be starting the program. I'm
sorry, if my mail was ambiguous ;-)

> It might me easier (development and usage) to ignore the reset
> option with the Butterfly.

Right now, all options are handled within "main.c". I recently
proposed moving programmer specific options like "-E" to the
programmers. So, we can get rid of the last PPI-specific part in
"main.c".

If we have this, we can easily implement any option we like in
"butterfly.c". However, I would like to stick to "-E" to keep things
simple.

After this cleanup, the name of the exit specs is irrelevant from a
developer point of view.
I just thought that it might be easier for people using both PPI and
butterfly to choose "reset"/"noreset".

I'm open to other suggestions.

Cheers
  Jan-Hinnerk