Re: [avrdude-dev] Butterfly proposal: Exit upgrade function

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Butterfly proposal: Exit upgrade function
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 05:42:28 +0100

On Thursday 05 February 2004 02:12, Martin Thomas wrote:

> /*
>  Usual scenario: Users uploader the hex-file, wait for avrdude  to
> complete the transfer and push the Butterfly's joystick "up" (=jump
> to 0x0000) to see if the application works.
>
>  If the Butterfly does not receive an "E" after flash upload  it
> stays in "910 mode" and waits for other commands from UART.  The
> loop where the joystick position gets read is independant from the
> 910 command interpreter  loop. Because of BOOTRST the BF jumps to
> the Bootloader. In the preloaded application the selection
> Options/Jump to Bootloader issues as WD reset. In the Bootloader
> the BF goes to sleep, the joystick is connected to ExtINT pins. If
> the joystick is pushed up: jmp 0x0000, if joystick is pressed the
> BF tries to sync with the flash-software (AVRPROG or
> avrdude/butterfly via RS232. After a handshake it breaks from the
> joystick-loop and enters the "infinite" command- parser-loop. Exit
> from this loop is via WD-reset on "E" send via RS232 */

Do I get this right?
- If you don't send the "E" you can only enter the program by powering
down and then pressing a button.
- If you send the "E" you still have to press the button (it is a
joystick, AFAIK) to start the program?
- If you send the "E" you have to press another button to be able to
connect to the bootloader once again?

I don't have a butterfly, but your text and the bootloader source code
look like this is how it works ;-(

Cheers
  Jan-Hinnerk