Re: [avrdude-dev] Problem with avr910

From: Charles Steinkuehler
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Problem with avr910
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:45:52 -0600

Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
<snip>
<code>
/*
* For some reason, if we don't do this when writing to flash, the first byte
 * of flash is not programmed. I susect that the board got out of sync after
 * the erase and sending another command gets us back in sync. -TRoth
 */
static void avr910_write_setup(PROGRAMMER * pgm, AVRPART * p, AVRMEM * m)
{
  if (strcmp(m->desc, "flash") == 0) {
    avr910_send(pgm, "y", 1);
    avr910_vfy_cmd_sent(pgm, "clear LED");
  }
}
</code>

Pertinant verbose output from avrdude:
avrdude: reading input file "/cygdrive/c/Projects/Delphi/Hygrometer-App/Hygrometer-0103.hex" avrdude: input file /cygdrive/c/Projects/Delphi/Hygrometer-App/Hygrometer-0103.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (7470 bytes):

Writing |                            | 0% 0.00savrdude:
Send: y [79]
avrdude: serial_recv(): programmer is not responding

Sorry about replying to my own e-mail...I forgot to propose a fix.

I'm not sure what kind of sync problems TRoth was having (I'm not seeing a similar problem), but the correct solution to a loss of sync should be sending a few 0x27 escape characters (which are ignored by the programmer if it's waiting for a command) and flushing anything the programmer sends back.

If it is actually necessary to send the 'y' command for some reason, perhaps it could be followed by an escape, so programmers that expect a two byte LED command would still work?

--
Charles Steinkuehler
address@hidden