Re: [avrdude-dev] Device names under cygwin

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Device names under cygwin
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:50:36 -0700

On 16 Feb 2004 at 15:28, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> I need to compile a version of avrdude to run under windows (see
> trouble with device names.
>
> When I compile avrdude, it only works with /dev devices (ie: /dev/com1).
>
> The pre-compiled versions I downloaded from the savannah site, however,
> use 'normal' windows device names (ie: COM1).
>
> How to I compile avrdude to use the 'normal' windows device names?  Do I
> need a particular version of cygwin, or perhaps some compile-time flags?
>
> Thanks in advance,

IIRC, this has to do with the Cygwin DLL (cygwin1.dll) version. For version >=
1.5.x, it
requires the '/dev/comx' string. For version 1.3.x, you can just use a 'comx'
string.
This is a known issue with Cygwin, however I don't know what the Cygwin people
are
going to do about it (if anything). This problem will eventually go away when
the
Win32 API version of avrdude will be rolled into CVS. This version just uses
the
'comx' string and also has the main advantage of *not* using the Cygwin DLL at
all.
However, this version is still being discussed on this list, trying to get the
last few
wrinkles out.

For now, I would suggest just using '/dev/comx'. If you want, you can put that
in your
avrdude configuration file as the default. See the avrdude user manual for more
information.

HTH
Eric