Re: [avrdude-dev] Device names under cygwin

From: Charles Steinkuehler
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Device names under cygwin
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:42:00 -0600

E. Weddington wrote:

On 16 Feb 2004 at 15:28, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

How to I compile avrdude to use the 'normal' windows device names? Do I need a particular version of cygwin, or perhaps some compile-time flags?

IIRC, this has to do with the Cygwin DLL (cygwin1.dll) version. For version >= 1.5.x, it requires the '/dev/comx' string. For version 1.3.x, you can just use a 'comx' string. This is a known issue with Cygwin, however I don't know what the Cygwin people are going to do about it (if anything). This problem will eventually go away when the Win32 API version of avrdude will be rolled into CVS. This version just uses the 'comx' string and also has the main advantage of *not* using the Cygwin DLL at all. However, this version is still being discussed on this list, trying to get the last few wrinkles out.

For now, I would suggest just using '/dev/comx'. If you want, you can put that in your avrdude configuration file as the default. See the avrdude user manual for more information.

Thanks, but I really want to use the COM1 format, as this is shipping to a customer who would be confused by /dev/whatever.

For posterity, if anyone needs to build code in a 1.3.x cygwin environment, I found a couple pre 1.5.x cygwin installs at berkeley for compiling ptolemy. I used 1.3.22-1, available at the following link:

http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII3.0/cygwin.htm

--
Charles Steinkuehler
address@hidden