[avrdude-dev] avrdude not talking to my stk500

From: John Johnson
Subject: [avrdude-dev] avrdude not talking to my stk500
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:19:44 -0500

Please forgive my ignorance here.

I unwrapped my shiney new stk500 today. It works fine with AVRStudio. Avrdude,
however, won't talk to it at all. It hangs at the DOS prompt. I've waited
several minutes, and there is no response. I can Ctrl-C out of it. Avrdude
previously worked fine with my homemade stk200 style programmer dongle.

Here's what I know:

>From AVRStudio:
Detecting.. STK500 found on COM1:
Getting revisions.. HW: 0x02, SW Major: 0x01, SW Minor: 0x0e .. OK
Reading FLASH input file.. OK
Setting device parameters, serial programming mode ..OK
Entering programming mode.. OK
Reading FLASH using block mode..       OK
FLASH contents is equal to file.. OK
Leaving programming mode.. OK

>From a DOS prompt:
C:\WinAVR\examples\adwser>avrdude -p 8515 -c stk500 -P com1 -n -U flash:w:adwser
.bin -v -v

AVRDUDE: Version 4.3.0
         Copyright (c) 2000-2003 Brian Dean, address@hidden

         System wide configuration file is "C:\WINAVR\BIN\avrdude.conf"

         Using Port            : com1
         Using Programmer      : stk500
(hangs here)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Avrdude is really nice, and my programmer of choice, so I hope I can get it
working.

Regards,
  JJ